Friday, February 27, 2015

Rain snow summer

As the title suggests our midwest weather has been a little nuts lately. Two weeks ago it was 80 degrees and today it's 13 and snowing! I love winter weather and I love warm weather-just not at the same time!

The constant changes in weather cause my auto-immune diseases to flare up which makes it no fun for anyone. The more I hurt the grumpier I get-I'm just ready for the weather to be constant again.

The worst part about weather changes is the affect it has on my students-it never fails when there is a weather change their behavior gets worse and worse. This past month has been super challenging for the kids-they keep hoping for a snow day which hasn't happened yet!

State assessments are coming up so I've been pushing them which doesn't help-we have so much to cover and not nearly enough time to do it in. I've been gone a bunch during February which doesn't help. It's just been one of those months.

While I still have to respond to misbehavior it's helpful to at least have some understanding of why they are misbehaving. Since I teach 8th graders I can explain to them why I have to be gone and prepare them-which does help with a little bit of the misbehavior. Honestly February is probably the worst month for teacher-and I'm happy it's over!

Sometimes in teacher you just have to grit your teeth and do your best. It's always okay to take a break! Today my kiddos are watching Scooby Doo-not for any academic purpose but for a nice treat. So far this week they've made propaganda comic strips and written a lengthy book review. Last week they wrote an argumentative essay and made a parts of speech collage-they've worked hard and they deserve a treat (plus it's letting me catch up on all the grading!)

Even though teaching is a high pressure business (hello high stakes tests and Common Core!) you really just have to let it go sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment